West Mitchell Street CME Church Advent Corporate Fast
Thank you for choosing to participate in our Advent Corporate Fast! West Mitchell Street is moving forward, and now, it’s time for us to be on one accord! This fast will take place from Sunday, November 29th to Thursday, December 24th, 2015. If you are interested in participating in this special “Move” that the Lord has us participating in during this season, please read our information below.
What is a fast?
Fasting is simply abstaining from food or any other item, for a given period of time, to achieve certain purposes. Religious fasting is done to center one’s focus on God.
Why are we fasting corporately?
Our church is embarking on this endeavor to center our focus as a church body and family on God. We are on a journey to live into the vision and mission God has given us; therefore, we need to fast as one body to hear from God as to what our next steps will be.
How will we fast?
This fast will last through the Advent Season (Sunday, November 29th, 2015 – Thursday, December 24th, 2015). Please speak with your physician before beginning any solid food fasting.
There are three options for our corporate fast:
1. Abstaining from food in the following ways:
- a. Total abstention — No food, only water and juices (NOTE: Only those who are experienced fasters and have fasted previously from solid foods for a similar time period should attempt this)
- b. Partial abstention — Fasting one meal a day
2. Abstaining from media — No TV, radio, internet, etc. for a certain time during the day
3. Abstaining from shopping unnecessarily — Buying only that which is necessary to live
What should we do while we are fasting?
1. Pray for the West Mitchell Street CME Church family
- a. As a body
- b. For certain members going through challenges
- c. For yourself as a member
2. Read and study your Bible
- a. Independently, using a devotional guide or other plan
- b. Together with other members, using a devotional guide or other plan
3. Ask God what you can do to help strengthen and grow the West Mitchell Street CME Church family
4. Use the money and other resources you have saved from fasting to help your church family and others
So, there you have it! If you have any questions, be sure to ask! We’re here for you, and we’re in this together!